Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans' Day!

To all of those who are veterans or have family members who are veterans, congratulations and thank you for your part in helping to defend our country and our freedom. My Grandpa and Grandma Hazelwood had ten children who grew to adulthood and out of six of their sons, five of them were in the military. My dad was in for only a short time and did not serve; he was given an honorable discharge due to health reasons. The other four served in various branches and all were in World War II and all returned home alive. There is a picture, but I don't have access to it, of all four of them in uniform. I remember my Grandma telling how different times God would impress on her heart to pray for one or another of them and then later find that they had been in danger. My oldest uncle, Harold Hazelwood, was on Midway Island during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He was a communication technologist and kept the lines open between the island and mainland, even though he was injured. I am against war with all of my being and my feelings, but I am proud that my family was part of the great group who helped keep our country free. May God continue to smile on America for His children's sake!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I say "ditto" to that. This US citizen salutes you!