Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I thought I would get on here and give just a little update of our situation. As far as I know, the fire was determined to be caused by a short in the electric lights on the Christmas tree. The tree was two years old, prelighted and we bought it from KMart, just FYI. We stayed for one night at Becky and Jerry's and then moved to a motel in Bartlesville for nine nights (How time flies!). We stayed at our apartment last night. It is comfortable, although pretty small for five people. We will be fine, though. It has two and a half bathrooms and one bedroom (go figure!). We've rounded up enough furniture to get by fine and thank you to Dolly and Dake Shreffler for sharing some with us. Mandie got on Craig's list and hunted down other essentials and there we are! Allstate is taking care of us, and we are just wading through the paperwork and red tape. Today we found out that they are "totaling" the house, although the adjuster said they don't use that word any more, so whatever, but I guess we will be house shopping! I might post some pictures of our apartment at some point if I can ever get it all together! In the meantime I need to run out and shop for Christmas again! Oh, well, I have what eight days? No problem! Lol!

2 comments:

Diane said...

You have such a good attitude about your situation. I try to put myself in your place, and I think I would go bananas. A fire is a monster and at Christmas time!....it would be worse I think. You mentioned on a previous blog about your different Christmas trees, and I thought, wow, how does she do all that? I have trouble getting my one up these days. Well, I have one outside but I don't decorate it, just set it up. I'm sure it's devastating!
Please continue to keep us posted, I've been wondering how you were, and how things were going.
Love you,
Diane

Brenda Marquez said...

Actually I have stored my trees in the past years with the lights still on them, and the small trees, like the kids' trees and the kitchen tree even with the decorations on them. Then it just takes some straightening. I decorate the living room tree myself because it is really "Mom" style, sort of Victorian, but the kids do the big tree. I don't know about my attitude, but thank you for the encouragement. Some days it really hits me and others, I just thank God for His blessings and look for the silver lining. Thank you for caring!
Love,
Brenda