Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy (Late) Fathers' Day!

I thought about putting this post on here Monday, but forgot! Sorry! I just wanted to mention some of the dads in my life and say Happy Fathers' Day!

To my husband of 28 years: Manuel, thank you for being the wonderful father that you are to your children. As I read Mandie's blog entry to you today, I realized for the first time how valuable the lesson that you have taught your children is. I have wondered many times why you didn't just do things for them, and sometimes thought you should have, and no doubt have told you so many times, but I realized today that they have become stronger, more ready to think for themselves and more independent by learning from you. Thank you for that. If it were up to me, our children would probably be hopelessly spoiled. You truly practice "tough love". Many nights, when the children were babies, you would get up in the night and care for them. You laid them against your tummy when they had colic. You never, that I can ever remember, complained that they were crying too much or not letting you sleep. We have recently had our 28th anniversary, and while sometimes we still don't agree (okay, maybe I should say, sometimes we actually do agree!), we have stood together through all these years and that is something to be proud of and thankful for! We have taught our children that you "find a way, when there doesn't seem to be one". God knew what He was doing when He picked you out for me. Thank you for being the best father that my children could ever have!

And to my Daddy and my Suegro: I miss you both so much! Losing you both was so painful, the hub in the middle of the wheels of both families is missing! We know that you are both waiting in Heaven for us and that makes it worth while! I hope you are spending time together up there and just relaxing! You both worked so hard down here and it's time to rest! Daddy, thank you for always being able to fix anything that was broken, for praying for all of us, for not being afraid to tell us when you thought we needed to do something different, for cooking for us, for spoiling me, for always making sure we had the "right" vehicle, (although I still remember being a little upset about you selling my car without my permission--although you turned right around and put that money into a brand new (wrecked and rebuilt) car for me and made several additional payments for it), for preaching the truth, for showing us that the path well traveled is not always God's will for us and for teaching us to have courage to be what we are! I love you, Daddy! Thank you so much for everything! I'll see you "in the morning"! Suegro, the pain of your going is still fresh to us, and I can't stand the thoughts of passing your house in Mexico and not seeing you on the front porch! I will never forget the first time I saw you, you laughed and said something that I couldn't understand. I will always wonder what you said! After we moved back to the US, when we would pull up in your driveway, I remember you looking out at the truck, seeing the recognition dawning on your face when you recognized Manuel's truck, and then your smile when you saw that your daughter-in-law was with him! You would say, "Mira quien viene!" Thank you for teaching your son tough love. And, to you, I will say, "Hasta la manana!"

2 comments:

Robyn Huff said...

What a beautiful post. When I read what you had written about your father-in-law, I had to smile. I remember when we used to visit you in Mexico... I LOVED going down the hill to his little store and getting those cold orange sodas in the glass bottles! That's a special memory!

Brenda Marquez said...

It was kind of a dirty little store, but he had a little of just about everything! Yes, the cold sodas were wonderful on the hot days that we had there!